Gavagai.pl ma budzić. Ma inspirować. Właściwe słowo we właściwej chwili może zmienić świat 一
umysłemrękami gotowego na te słowa człowieka.
Inne w tym dziale: Opowieści Piękne myśli i sentencje Powieści Droga Twojego Rozwoju Drogowskazy Retoryka Nowy Testament Człowiek i człowieczeństwo Stowarzyszenie umarłych poetów Śmierć Wiersze

Stowarzyszenie umarłych poetów

Większość ludzi żyje życiem cichej desperacji i idzie do grobów z pieśnią ciągle w sobie. Henry David Thoreau

Oto wiersze, których fragmenty można usłyszeć w filmie Stowarzyszenie umarłych poetów:

Zamieszkałem w lesie, albowiem chciałem żyć świadomie, stawać w życiu wyłącznie przed najbardziej ważkimi kwestiami, pragnąłem żyć pełnią życia i wysysać z niego całą kwintesencję, aby wykorzenić wszystko co nie jest życiem, abym w godzinie śmierci nie odkrył, że nie żyłem...
I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life. To put to rout all that was not life. And not, when I come to die, discover that I had not lived.
Henry David Thoreau, Walden

O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done, The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won, The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting, While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring; But O heart! heart! heart! O the bleeding drops of red, Where on the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells; Rise up – for you the flag is flung – for you the bugle trills, For you bouquets and ribbon'd wreaths – for you the shores a-crowding, For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning; Hear Captain! dear father! The arm beneath your head! It is some dream your head! It is some dream that on the deck, You've fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still, My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will, The ship is anchor'd safe and sound, its voyage closed and done, From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won; Exult O shore, and ring O bells! But I with mournful tread, Walk the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

– Walt Whitman (1854) from Leaves of Grass

O Me! O Life

O me! O life! of the questions of these recurring,
Of the endless trains of the faithless, of cities fill'd with the foolish,
Of myself forever reproaching myself, (for who more foolish than I, and who more
faithless?)
Of eyes that vainly crave the light, of the objects mean, of the struggle ever renew'd,
Of the poor results of all, of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me,
Of the empty and useless years of the rest, with the rest me intertwined,
The question, O me! so sad, recurring – What good amid these, O me, O life?
Answer.
That you are here – that life exists and identity,
That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.

– Walt Whitman

Song Of Myself

(The below is only a short extract from the poem.
All in all it is about 50 times as long as this extract)

1 CELEBRATE myself, and sing myself, And what I assume you shall assume, For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you. I loafe and invite my soul, I lean and loafe at my ease observing a spear of summer grass. My tongue, every atom of my blood, form'd from this soil, this air, Born here of parents born here from parents the same, and their parents the same, I, now thirty-seven years old in perfect health begin, Hoping to cease not till death. Creeds and schools in abeyance, Retiring back a while sufficed at what they are, but never forgotten, I harbor for good or bad, I permit to speak at every hazard, Nature without check with original energy. 2 Houses and rooms are full of perfumes, the shelves are crowded with perfumes, I breathe the fragrance myself and know it and like it, The distillation would intoxicate me also, but I shall not let it. The atmosphere is not a perfume, it has no taste of the distillation, it is odorless, It is for my mouth forever, I am in love with it, I will go to the bank by the wood and become undisguised and naked, I am mad for it to be in contact with me. The smoke of my own breath, Echoes, ripples, buzz'd whispers, love-root, silk-thread, crotch and vine, My respiration and inspiration, the beating of my heart, the passing of blood and air through my lungs, The sniff of green leaves and dry leaves, and of the shore and dark-color'd sea-rocks, and of hay in the barn, The sound of the belch'd words of my voice loos'd to the eddies of the wind, A few light kisses, a few embraces, a reaching around of arms, The play of shine and shade on the trees as the supple boughs wag,

The delight alone or in the rush of the streets, or along the fields and hill-sides, The feeling of health, the full-noon trill, the song of me rising from bed and meeting the sun. Have you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the earth much? Have you practis'd so long to learn to read? Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems? Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of all poems, You shall possess the good of the earth and sun, (there are millions of suns left,) You shall no longer take things at second or third hand, nor look through the eyes of the dead, nor feed on the spectres in books, You shall not look through my eyes either, nor take things from me, You shall listen to all sides and filter them from your self.

– Walt Whitman

Song of Myself – Section 52

The spotted hawk swoops by and accuses me, he complains
of my gab and my loitering.

I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world.

The last scud of day holds back for me,
It flings my likeness after the rest and true as any on the
shadow'd wilds,
It coaxes me to the vapor and the dusk.

I depart as air, I shake my white locks at the runaway sun,
I effuse my flesh in eddies, and drift it in lacy jags.

I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,
If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles.

– Walt Whitman
Whitman, Walt (1819-1892) – One of the greatest American poets. Although Whitman thought he was a great poet of democracy, his work, unfavorably received by the critics of his day, never enjoyed a mass popularity. Public recognition of his genius came slowly, at first abroad and later at home. Leaves of Grass (1855) – Whitman's best–known work was originally a collection of twelve untitled poems that was expanded over eight subsequent revisions. The book is known for its radical, irregular style and content.

To the Virgins, To Make Much of Time

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, Old time is still a-flying, And this same flower that smiles today, To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun, The higher he's a-getting, The sooner will his race be run, And nearer he's to setting.

That age is best which is the first, When youth and blood are warmer; But being spent, the worse and worst Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time, and while ye may, go marry; For having lost just once your prime, You may for ever tarry.

– Robert Herrick, Publication Date: 1648
ROBERT HERRICK 1591-1674
Robert Herrick was born in London in 1591. The son of a goldsmith, he was apprenticed to his uncle, also a goldsmith but went to Trinity Hall, Cambridge at the age of 22. He graduated in 1620 and took holy orders and commenced duties in a parish in Devon. As a Royalist he was forced to give up the parish in 1647. He was restored to it in 1662 and died in 1674. Herrick wrote on a number of themes. Often, and most famously, on the attributes of young women but also on rural life, religious themes and in his later life on his approaching death.
She Walks in Beauty

I
She walks in beauty, like the night Of cloudless climes and starry skies; And all that's best of dark and bright Meet in her aspect and her eyes: Thus mellow'd to that tender light Which heaven to gaudy day denies. II One shade the more, one ray the less, Had half impair'd the nameless grace Which waves in every raven tress, Or softly lightens o'er her face; Where thoughts serenely sweet express How pure, how dear their dwelling-place. III And on that cheek, and o'er that brow, So soft, so calm, yet eloquent, The smiles that win, the tints that glow, But tell of days in goodness spent, A mind at peace with all below, A heart whose love is innocent.

– LORD BYRON
From Hebrew Melodies. Advertisement. The subsequent poems were written at the request of my friend, the Hon. Douglas Kinnaird, for a Selection of Hebrew Melodies, and have been published, with the music, arranged by Mr. Braham and Mr. Nathan. January, 1815

The poem was written in the morning after Byron had seen his beautiful cousin, Mrs Robert John Wilmot. She was wearing a black mourning gown brightened with spangles (pailletter).
George Gordon Byron (1788 – 1824)
George Gordon Byron was the son of Captain John Byron by his marriage to the Scottish Catherine Gordon of Gight. He was born with a club foot of which he was very self-conscious and educated in Aberdeen, where his family had moved to escape their debts, and at Harrow and Cambridge. Byron inherited the family home, Newstead Abbey, following the deaths of his father in 1791 and grandfather in 1798. He took up his seat in the House of Lords in 1808 and then left to travel in Europe, at which time he began writing his immensely popular poem Childe Harolde, returning to a political role again in 1813 when he spoke on liberal themes in the House. In 1815 he married Annabella Milbanke, but she left him soon afterwards, taking their child with her. Throughout his life he fathered several illegitimate children and had numerous scandalous affairs, the most notorious being with his half-sister Augusta, his father's daughter by an earlier marriage. This affair horrified English society and encouraged Byron in his decision to leave England for good in 1816. He stayed with the Shelleys in Geneva, where he wrote The Prisoner of Chillon, then after a trip to Rome in 1817 he returned to Venice where he wrote Beppo his first work in a new ironic style. Don Juan was begun the following year. Fired by the Greek battle for independence from Turkey, Byron sailed to Missolonghi in 1824, where he gave money and inspiration to the rebels but died of a fever before seeing action.
Arthur O'Shaughnessy – Ode

We are the music-makers And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;-World– losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems. With wonderful deathless ditties We build up the world's great cities, And out of a fabulous story We fashion an empire's glory: One man with a dream, at pleasure, Shall go forth and conquer a crown; And three with a new song's measure Can trample an empire down. We, in the ages lying In the buried past of the earth, Built Nineveh with our sighing, And Babel itself with our mirth; And o'erthrew them with prophesying, To the old of the new world's worth; For each age is a dream that is dying, Or one that is coming to birth.

Arthur O'Shaughnessy (1844-1881), Brendan Kennelly (ed.): The Penguin Book of Irish Verse, Penguin 1970
Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy (1844-1881)
was a British poet, born in London. At the age of seventeen, in June 1861, he received the post of transcriber in the library of the British Museum, reportedly through the influence of Sir Edward Bulwer Lytton. Two years later, at the age of nineteen, he became an assistant in the natural history department, where he specialized in Ichthyology. However, his true passion was for literature. He published his first collection, Epic of Women, in 1870. He published two more collections of poetry, in 1872 and 1874. When he was thirty he married and did not print any more volumes of poetry for the last seven years of his life. His last volume, Songs of a Worker, was published posthumously in 1881.

Sonnet XVIII

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest:
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this and this gives life to thee.

– William Shakespeare
Shakespeare's sonnets (1598-1609): A loosely related series of one hundred fifty-four Sonnets. The first part of the collection is addressed to a young friend; the last part is addressed to a mysterious „dark lady.

Henry David Thoreau, Walden – or Life in the Woods

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
大多數人過著寂靜絕望的生活。
– Walden(1854),I,Economy

.... I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan– like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion. For most men, it appears to me, are in a strange uncertainty about it, whether it is of the devil or of God, and have somewhat hastily concluded that it is the chief end of man here to„glorify God and enjoy him forever.” 我去森林裡住, 是為我想活得從容不迫。籍由只面對生活的必要部分, 來了解自己能否學會生活索要教導的, 免得臨死之前發現自己白走了這一遭。生活如此可貴,我不想過那種不是生活的生活,而若非必要,我也不想與世隔絕。我想要活得深刻, 取盡生活的精髓,踏實地或著, 用斯巴達式的方式, 大刀闊斧, 細整微修, 剷平非關乎生活的東西, 把生活趕到角落裡, 把生活條件降至最低限度。如果省會真是卑微的, 那就理出所有的真正卑微之處然後公諸於世;如果生活是崇高的,那就親身去體驗它,以便在下個旅程中忠實傳述。

I left the woods for as good a reason as I went there. Perhaps it seemed to me that I had several more lives to live, and could not spare any more time for that one. It is remarkable how easily and insensibly we fall into a particular route, and make a beaten track for ourselves. I had not lived there a week before my feet wore a path from my door to the pond-side; and though it is Eve or six years since I trod it, it is still quite distinct. It is true, I fear, that others may have fallen into it, and so helped to keep it open. The surface of the earth is soft and impressible by the feet of men; and so with the paths which the mind travels. How worn and dusty, then, must be the Highways of the world, how deep the ruts of tradition and conformity! I did not wish to take a cabin passage, but rather to go before the mast and on the deck of the world, for there I could best see the moonlight amid the mountains. I do not wish to go below now.

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a suc-cess unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; new, universal, and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves around and within him; or the old laws be expanded, and interpreted in his favor in a more liberal sense, and he will live with the license of a higher order of beings. In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weak-ness weakness. If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

It is a ridiculous demand which England and America make, that you shall speak so that they can understand you. Neither men nor toadstools grow so. As if that were important, and there were not enough to understand you without them.

As if Nature could support but one order of understandings, could not sustain birds as well as quadrupeds, flying as well as creeping things, and hush and whoa, which Bright can under-stand, were the best English. As if there were safety in stupidity alone. I fear chiefly lest my expression may not be extravagant enough, may not wander far enough beyond the narrow limits of my daily experience, so as to be adequate to the truth of which I have been convinced. Extra vagance! it depends on how you are yarded. The migrating buffalo, which seeks new pastures in another latitude, is not extravagant like the cow which kicks over the pail, leaps the cowyard fence, and runs after her calf, in milking time. I desire to speak somewhere without bounds; like a man in a waking moment, to men in their waking moments; for I am convinced that I cannot exag-gerate enough even to lay the foundation of a true expression.

Who that has heard a strain of music feared then lest he should speak extravagantly any more forever? In view of the future or possible, we should live quite laxly and undefined in front our outlines dim and misty on that side; as our shadows reveal an insensible perspiration toward the sun. The volatile truth of our words should continually betray the inadequacy of the residual statement. Their truth is instantly translated; its literal monu-ment alone remains. The words which express our faith and piety are not definite; yet they are significant and fragrant like frankincense to superior natures.

Why level downward to our dullest perception always, and praise that as common sense? The commonest sense is the sense of men asleep, which they express by snoring. So metimes we are inclined to class those who are once-and-a-halfwitted with the half-witted, because we appreciate only a third part of their wit.

Thoreau, Henry David
Thoreau, Henry David (1817-1862)
American writer, ranscendentalist, and naturalist whose journal was the source of all his writings. Thoreau published only two books during his lifetime but has since grown to be regarded as an important literary figure. Walden or Life in the Woods (1854) – Thoreau's most famous work describes his experiment in essential living in a cabin at Walden Pond. It sets forth his philosophies and urges that life should be lived more simply.

Robert Frost – The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both And be one traveler, long I stood And looked down one as far as I could To where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim, Because it was grassy and wanted wear; Though as for that the passing there Had worn them really about the same, And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black. Oh, I marked the first for another day! Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back. I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

(From Mountain Interval, 1916)
Frost, Robert (1874-1963)
American poet best known for his realistic depictions of rural New England life. First published in Englan d, his work was long ignored in his own country. Once established, he became one of America's bestloved and most honored poets. Fros t won four Pulitzer Prizes.
The Prophet – Abraham Cowley

Teach me to Love? go teach thy self more wit;
I am chief Professor of it.
Teach craft to Scots, and thrift to Jews,
Teach boldness to the Stews;
In tyrants courts teach supple flattery,
Teach Jesuits, that have traveled far, to Lye.
Teach fire to burn and Winds to blow.
Teach restless Fountains how to flow,
Teach the dull earth, fix, to abide,
Teach Woman-kind inconstancy and Pride.
See if your diligence here will useful prove;
But, pr'ithee, teach not me to love.

The God of Love, if such a thing there be,
May learn to love from me,
He who does boast that he has bin,
In every Heart since Adams sin,
I'll lay my Life, nay Mistress on't, that's more;
I'll teach him things he never knew before;
I'll teach him a receipt to make
Words that weep, and Tears that speak,
I'll teach him Sighs, like those in death,
At which the Souls go out too with the breath;
Still the Soul stays, yet still does from me run;
As Light and Heat does with the Sun.

'Tis I who Love's Columbus am; 'tis I, Who must new Worlds in it descry;
Rich Worlds, that yield of Treasure more,
than that has been known before,
And yet like his (I fear) my fate must be,
To find them out for others; not for Me.
Me Times to come, I know it, shall
Loves last and greatest prophet call.
But, ah, what's that, if she refuse,
To hear the whole doctrines of my Muse?
If to my share the Prophets fate must come;
Hereafter fame, here Martyrdom.

The Congo – Vachel Lindsay

A Study of the Negro Race

I. Their Basic Savagery

Fat black bucks in a wine-barrel room,
Barrel-house kings, with feet unstable,

# A deep rolling bass. #

Sagged and reeled and pounded on the table,
Pounded on the table,
Beat an empty barrel with the handle of a broom,
Hard as they were able,
Boom, boom, BOOM,
With a silk umbrella and the handle of a broom,
Boomlay, boomlay, boomlay, BOOM.

THEN I had religion, THEN I had a vision.
I could not turn from their revel in derision.

# More deliberate. Solemnly chanted. #

THEN I SAW THE CONGO, CREEPING THROUGH THE BLACK,
CUTTING THROUGH THE FOREST WITH A GOLDEN TRACK.

Then along that riverbank
A thousand miles
Tattooed cannibals danced in files;
Then I heard the boom of the blood-lust song

# A rapidly piling climax of speed and racket. #

And a thigh-bone beating on a tin-pan gong.
And „BLOOD” screamed the whistles and the fifes of the warriors,
„BLOOD” screamed the skull-faced, lean witch-doctors,
„Whirl ye the deadly voo-doo rattle,
Harry the uplands,
Steal all the cattle,
Rattle-rattle, rattle-rattle,
Bing.
Boomlay, boomlay, boomlay, BOOM,„

# With a philosophic pause. #

A roaring, epic, rag-time tune
From the mouth of the Congo
To the Mountains of the Moon.
Death is an Elephant,

# Shrilly and with a heavily accented metre. #

Torch-eyed and horrible,
Foam-flanked and terrible.
BOOM, steal the pygmies,
BOOM, kill the Arabs,
BOOM, kill the white men,
HOO, HOO, HOO.

# Like the wind in the chimney. #

Listen to the yell of Leopold's ghost
Burning in Hell for his hand-maimed host.
Hear how the demons chuckle and yell
Cutting his hands off, down in Hell.
Listen to the creepy proclamation,
Blown through the lairs of the forest-nation,
Blown past the white-ants' hill of clay,
Blown past the marsh where the butterflies play: – „Be careful what you do,

# All the o sounds very golden. Heavy accents very heavy.
Light accents very light. Last line whispered. #

Or Mumbo-Jumbo, God of the Congo,
And all of the other
Gods of the Congo,
Mumbo-Jumbo will hoo-doo you,
Mumbo-Jumbo will hoo-doo you,
Mumbo-Jumbo will hoo-doo you.„

II. Their Irrepressible High Spirits

# Rather shrill and high. #

Wild crap-shooters with a whoop and a call
Danced the juba in their gambling-hall
And laughed fit to kill, and shook the town,
And guyed the policemen and laughed them down
With a boomlay, boomlay, boomlay, BOOM.

# Read exactly as in first section. #

THEN I SAW THE CONGO, CREEPING THROUGH THE BLACK,
CUTTING THROUGH THE FOREST WITH A GOLDEN TRACK.

# Lay emphasis on the delicate ideas.
Keep as light-footed as possible. #

A negro fairyland swung into view,
A minstrel river
Where dreams come true.
The ebony palace soared on high
Through the blossoming trees to the evening sky.
The inlaid porches and casements shone
With gold and ivory and elephant-bone.
And the black crowd laughed till their sides were sore
At the baboon butler in the agate door,
And the well-known tunes of the parrot band
That trilled on the bushes of that magic land.

# With pomposity. #

A troupe of skull-faced witch-men came
Through the agate doorway in suits of flame,
Yea, long-tailed coats with a gold-leaf crust
And hats that were covered with diamond-dust.
And the crowd in the court gave a whoop and a call
And danced the juba from wall to wall.

# With a great deliberation and ghostliness. #

But the witch-men suddenly stilled the throng
With a stern cold glare, and a stern old song: – „Mumbo-Jumbo will hoo-doo you.” . . .

# With overwhelming assurance, good cheer, and pomp. #

Just then from the doorway, as fat as shotes,
Came the cake-walk princes in their long red coats,
Canes with a brilliant lacquer shine,
And tall silk hats that were red as wine.

# With growing speed and sharply marked dance-rhythm. #

And they pranced with their butterfly partners there,
Coal-black maidens with pearls in their hair,
Knee-skirts trimmed with the jassamine sweet,
And bells on their ankles and little black feet.
And the couples railed at the chant and the frown
Of the witch-men lean, and laughed them down.
(O rare was the revel, and well worth while
That made those glowering witch-men smile.)
The cake-walk royalty then began
To walk for a cake that was tall as a man
To the tune of „Boomlay, boomlay, BOOM,„

# With a touch of negro dialect,
and as rapidly as possible toward the end. #

While the witch-men laughed, with a sinister air,
And sang with the scalawags prancing there: – „Walk with care, walk with care,
Or Mumbo-Jumbo, God of the Congo,
And all of the other
Gods of the Congo,
Mumbo-Jumbo will hoo-doo you.
Beware, beware, walk with care,
Boomlay, boomlay, boomlay, boom.
Boomlay, boomlay, boomlay, boom,
Boomlay, boomlay, boomlay, boom,
Boomlay, boomlay, boomlay,
BOOM.„

# Slow philosophic calm. #

Oh rare was the revel, and well worth while
That made those glowering witch-men smile.

III. The Hope of their Religion

# Heavy bass. With a literal imitation
of camp-meeting racket, and trance. #

A good old negro in the slums of the town
Preached at a sister for her velvet gown.
Howled at a brother for his low-down ways,
His prowling, guzzling, sneak-thief days.
Beat on the Bible till he wore it out
Starting the jubilee revival shout.
And some had visions, as they stood on chairs,
And sang of Jacob, and the golden stairs,
And they all repented, a thousand strong
From their stupor and savagery and sin and wrong
And slammed with their hymn books till they shook the room
With „glory, glory, glory,” And „Boom, boom, BOOM.„

# Exactly as in the first section.
Begin with terror and power, end with joy. #

THEN I SAW THE CONGO, CREEPING THROUGH THE BLACK
CUTTING THROUGH THE JUNGLE WITH A GOLDEN TRACK.

And the gray sky opened like a new-rent veil
And showed the apostles with their coats of mail.
In bright white steele they were seated round
And their fire-eyes watched where the Congo wound.
And the twelve Apostles, from their thrones on high
Thrilled all the forest with their heavenly cry: – -

# Sung to the tune of „Hark, ten thousand
harps and voices” . #

„Mumbo-Jumbo will die in the jungle;
Never again will he hoo-doo you,
Never again will he hoo-doo you.„

# With growing deliberation and joy. #

Then along that river, a thousand miles
The vine-snared trees fell down in files.
Pioneer angels cleared the way
For a Congo paradise, for babes at play,
For sacred capitals, for temples clean.
Gone were the skull-faced witch-men lean.

# In a rather high key – as delicately as possible. #

There, where the wild ghost-gods had wailed
A million boats of the angels sailed
With oars of silver, and prows of blue
And silken pennants that the sun shone through.
'Twas a land transfigured, 'twas a new creation.
Oh, a singing wind swept the negro nation
And on through the backwoods clearing flew: – -

# To the tune of „Hark, ten thousand harps and voices” . #

„Mumbo-Jumbo is dead in the jungle.
Never again will he hoo-doo you.
Never again will he hoo-doo you.”
Redeemed were the forests, the beasts and the men,
And only the vulture dared again
By the far, lone mountains of the moon
To cry, in the silence, the Congo tune: – -

# Dying down into a penetrating, terrified whisper. #

„Mumbo-Jumbo will hoo-doo you,
Mumbo-Jumbo will hoo-doo you.
Mumbo . . . Jumbo . . . will . . . hoo-doo . . . you.”

Raymond Calvert: The Ballad of William Bloat

In a mean abode on the Skankill Road
Lived a man named William Bloat;
He had a wife, the curse of his life,
Who continually got his goat.
So one day at dawn, with her nightdress on
He cut her bloody throat.

With a razor gash he settled her hash
Oh never was crime so quick
But the drip drip drip on the pillowslip '
Of her lifeblood made him sick.
And the pool of gore on the bedroom floor
Grew clotted and cold and thick.

And yet he was glad he had done what he had
When she lay there stiff and still
But a sudden awe of the angry law
Struck his heart with an icy chill.
So to finish the fun so well begun
He resolved himself to kill.

He took the sheet from the wife's coul' feet
And twisted it into a rope
And he hanged himself from the pantry shelf,
'Twas an easy end, let's hope.
In the face of death with his latest breath
He solemnly cursed the Pope.

But the strangest turn to the whole concern
Is only just beginning.
He went to Hell but his wife got well
And she's still alive and sinning.
For the razor blade was German made
But the sheet was Belfast linen.

Excerpt from Ulysses
Alfred Lord Tennyson

It little profits that an idle king,
By this still hearth, among these barren crags,
Match'd with an aged wife, I mete and dole
Unequal laws unto a savage race,
That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me.
I cannot rest from travel: I will drink
Life to the lees: All times I have enjoy'd
Greatly, have suffer'd greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone, on shore, and when
Thro' scudding drifts the rainy Hyades
Vext the dim sea: I am become a name;
For always roaming with a hungry heart
Much have I seen and known; cities of men
And manners, climates, councils, governments,
Myself not least, but honour'd of them all;
And drunk delight of battle with my peers,
Far on the ringing plains of windy Troy.
I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'
Gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades
For ever and forever when I move.
How dull it is to pause, to make an end,
To rust unburnish'd, not to shine in use!
As tho' to breathe were life! Life piled on life
Were all too little, and of one to me
Little remains: but every hour is saved
From that eternal silence, something more,
A bringer of new things; and vile it were
For some three suns to store and hoard myself,
And this gray spirit yearning in desire
To follow knowledge like a sinking star,
Beyond the utmost bound of human thought.

This is my son, mine own Telemachus,
To whom I leave the sceptre and the isle,–
Well-loved of me, discerning to fulfil
This labour, by slow prudence to make mild
A rugged people, and thro' soft degrees
Subdue them to the useful and the good.
Most blameless is he, centred in the sphere
Of common duties, decent not to fail
In offices of tenderness, and pay
Meet adoration to my household gods,
When I am gone. He works his work, I mine.

There lies the port; the vessel puffs her sail:
There gloom the dark, broad seas. My mariners,
Souls that have toil'd, and wrought, and thought with me–
That ever with a frolic welcome took
The thunder and the sunshine, and opposed
Free hearts, free foreheads–you and I are old;
Old age hath yet his honour and his toil;
Death closes all: but something ere the end,
Some work of noble note, may yet be done,
Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks:
The long day wanes: the slow moon climbs: the deep
Moans round with many voices. Come, my friends,
'T is not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Cytaty z filmu

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race… But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

我們讀詩、寫詩,不是因為詩討人喜歡;我們讀寫詩歌,是因為我們是人類的成員。人類是充滿激情的,詩歌:美麗、浪漫、愛,這些才是我們為之生存的東西。

No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change  the world.

不管任何人告訴妳什麼,語言和思想可以改變世界。

Boys, you must strive to find your own voice. Because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.” Don't be resigned to that. Break out!

孩子們,妳們努力挖掘妳們自己的聲音。因為妳們等待開始的時間越久,妳們發現它的可能性就越小。“大多數人過著寂靜絕望的生活。”不要放棄,馬上開始吧!

This is a battle, a war, and the casualties could be your hearts and souls.

這是一場戰鬥、一場戰爭。傷亡可能就是妳們的心靈和靈魂。

A sport is a chance for us to have other human beings push us to excel.

This is out on the playing field in the movie, the part in which each guy must read what is on his piece of paper and then kick a ball. The quotes are really not at all as effective on a web site then as in the movie, but they will serve their purpose.

O to struggle against great odds, To meet enemies undaunted.

To be a sailor of the world Bound for all ports

O I live to be the ruler of life Not a slave

To mount the scaffolds To advance to the mussels of guns With perfect nonchalance

To dance, Clap hands, Exault, Shout, Skip, Roll on, Float on

O to have life henceforth the poem of new joys

To indeed be a god!

This is back in Mr. Keating's English class as he finds the poet in one of the students.

I sound my barbaric YAWP from the rooftops of the world. – -Walt Witman

Góra strony

I close my eyes, and this image floats beside me: a sweaty-toothed madman with a stare that pounds my brain. His hands reach out and choke me and all the time he's mumbling, mumbling truth like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, but it'll never be enough. You kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us from the moment we enter crying to the moment we leave dying it'll only cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.

Now, back in the cave, the home of the Dead Poets Society...

Your parents collect pipes? (said sarcastically) Oh, that's really interesting!

Góra strony

What is that? Duh, it's a lamp. No, this is the God of the cave.

Góra strony

Poetrusis – -Charles „Nwanda” Dalton Laughing, crying, tumbling, mumbling, gotta do more, gotta be more. Chaos screaming, chaos dreaming, gotta do more, gotta be more!

Góra strony

My parents made me take the clarinet for years! I love the clarinet! (Emphasized) I HaTeD it!

Góra strony

You gotta calm down No, that's just my problem, I've been calm all my life. I'm gonna do something about that.

In the courtyard, a demonstration for the dangers of conformity...

Mr. Pitts – Taking his time, he knew he would get there one day. Mr. Cameron – You could see him thinking, is this right, it might be right, it might be right, maybe, no, I don't know. Mr. Overstreet – Driven by a deeper force.

The difficulty of maintaining your own beliefs in the face of others. We all have a great need for acceptance, but you must trust that your beliefs are unique, your own. Some people may think them odd or unpopular.

Robert Frost said: Two paths diverged into the wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.

Today is Todd's birthday, and his parents give him the same present as last year, Neil tries to cheer him up anyway.

Maybe they weren't thinking anything at all. The worlds first, unmanned, flying desk set. Don't worry, you'll get another one next year.

春風化雨(死亡詩社)

Cytaty w tym temacie

Większość ludzi żyje życiem cichej desperacji i idzie do grobów z pieśnią ciągle w sobie.

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.

Henry David Thoreau · Karta sentencji

Jesteś tym, czym są napędzające cię z głębi pragnienia. A jakie są te pragnienia, taka jest twoja wola. Jaka jest twoja wola, takie uczynki. A jakie uczynki, takie przeznaczenie.

You are what your deep driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny.

Brihadaranyaka Upanishad · Karta sentencji

Czasem chciałbym być tym, kim byłem wtedy, gdy chciałem być tym, kim jestem teraz.

Sometimes I really wish I could be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now.

(Bez rodowodu) · Karta sentencji

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/05/02/now/

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain · Karta sentencji

When you come to the edge of all the light you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly.

Barbara J. Winter · Karta sentencji

W sprawach ludzi jest fala, która, wzięta w czasie potopu, prowadzi do fortuny; Pominięte, wszystkie podróże ich życia Jest związany w mielizny i niedoli. Na takim pełnym morzu jesteśmy teraz na powierzchni, I musimy wziąć prąd, gdy służy Lub stracić nasze przedsięwzięcia

There is a tide in the affairs of men 
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; 
Omitted, all the voyage of their life 
Is bound in shallows and in miseries. 
On such a full sea are we now afloat, 
And we must take the current when it serves 
Or lose our ventures

William Shakespeare · Karta sentencji !!!

nic nie jest więcej warte ponad dzień dzisiejszy.

Nothing is worth more than this day

Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe · Karta sentencji

Jest tylko my, jest tylko to. Zapomnij o żalach, albo twoje życie jest już stracone..... Jest tylko teraz, jest tylko tutaj. Poddaj się miłości lub żyj w strachu. Żadnej innej drogi, żadnej innej ścieżki, żaden inny sposób, żaden inny dzień się nie liczy, ale dzień dzisiejszy.

There's only us, there's only this. Forget regret or life is yours to miss.... There's only now, there's only here. Give in to love or live in fear. No other path, no other way, no day but today.

Jonathan Larson · Karta sentencji

O dziwo, to jest przeszłość, do której ktoś w przyszłości będzie pragnął powrócić.

Strangely enough, this is the past that somebody in the future is longing to go back to.

Ashleigh Brilliant · Karta sentencji

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

William Jennings Bryan · Karta sentencji

Cytaty powiązane przez tagi

Ten temat został skojarzony z kilkoma tagami, którymi posortowane są sentencje i aforyzmy w repozytorium Gavagai.pl. Możesz kliknąć na poszczególne tagi poniżej, albo na czerwony przycisk, który zaprowadzi cię do listy sentencji, które są otagowane przynajmniej jednym z poniższych tagów:

Zobacz sentencje z  przypisanymi tagami:

ZOBACZ

Linki zewnętrzne (łącznie 4)

THE MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN

By Walter D. Wintle

If you think you are beaten, you are;
If you think you dare not, you don't;
If you'd like to win, but think you cant,
It's almost a cinch you won't.
If you think you'll lose, you're lost,
For out in the world we find
Success begins with a fellow's will;
It's all in the st

Famous Poetry Online

Olbrzymi zbiór pięknych i znanych wierszy

Vordingbg

Strona z wierszami o podobnej treści

Peter Weir Cave

Strona domowa reżysera
Sztuka wojny, 36 forteli, Sun Tzu, historia Chin, kultura chińska, piękne opowieści, pięken sentencje, najlepsze tłumaczenie Sztuka wojny (The Art of War)